I had a meet-and-greet with a band last night that I may audition for. I liked these guys, liked the music, and LOVED where they played, but… I don’t think I have the kind of time to devote to the band that they deserve. I spoke to the lead singer, and he indicated that they wanted to start playing out 3 nights a week. In fact, they have a gig on Wednesday that runs until 2 am. This little announcement made me realize a couple of points:
- I do not have the ability to get home at 3 in the morning, sleep for 3 hours and the get up and go to work and even be CLOSE to effective at my job.
- My job requires that I travel a bit, usually on the weekends.
- My focus of my life would change from ‘getting established’ to ‘getting the band established’.
- Money that would be allocated to paying bills would now go to paying for equipment.
- In the end, it would not be fair to either my job or the band.
I don’t know if any of this is a ‘cop-out’ or just being practical. I REALLY want to get back playing and practicing with a band. I *COULD* draw an analogy to something else that usually isn’t as much fun by one’s self, but I’ll leave that to the reader’s imagination.