Excellent blog entry on what it is like to be a programmer

My friend Rick sent me this link to an incredible blog entry by Gustavo Duarte on why programmers are lucky.  Gotta say, I totally agree!
Advertisements

Finding a way around the iPhone’s problem of erasing personal contacts when using Exchange

Walt Mossberg wrote in this article the following information:

"While you can have both personal and Exchange email accounts on the new iPhone, if you synchronize with Exchange calendars and contacts, your personal calendar and contacts are erased."

I was a little bit distraught when reading this.  I wanted an iPhone, but I wanted to have both my work calendar and a personal web calendar.  This statement made me think that if you have Exchange, that will be the ONLY calendar / contacts you can have. 

Well, this weekend, I picked up an iPhone, despite this limitation.  And, boy, am I glad I did.  I LOVE this phone.  But, I was hesitant to set it up to talk to my company’s Exchange server.  I didn’t want to loose my personal contacts!

Well, it turns out there IS a work around… Me.com.  I had purchased .Mac almost a year ago, and it has proven to be helpful at times.  The new server, dubbed, ‘MobileMe’ made things much more interesting.  The iPhone software can treat the MobileMe account seperate from my Exchange account, so both calendars can exist as well as my contacts remaining separated.

I am a happy camper!

Woo-hoo!

Another Solution for the dreaded ‘Method Error 500’ in Microsoft’s Ajax Control Toolkit

For the last three days, I have been trying to solve an issue with the Ajax Control Toolkit for .NET 3.5.  We use the Cascading Drop Down control on some of the company’s core pages.  For some weird reason (which I still don’t know) our test machine started throwing ‘Method Error 500’ messages in ONE of the sites, but not all of them.  We also were able to get it to sometimes work on the page, then sometimes not.  This ruled out most of the solutions I found on the web for ‘Method Error 500’, as almost everyone else’s problem was very consistent.  They either always received the ‘Method Error 500’ or things worked.  No one was reporting intermittent problems like what we were experiencing.  So, after much trial and error, a solution was found.  It turns out that deleting the web site’s directory, deleting the web site setup information from IIS, and deleting the Application Pool for the web site, then recreating all of them solved the problem!  Again, I have no idea WHY it worked or was even a problem to begin with…