So, tomorrow is Apple’s WWDC (World Wide Developer’s Conference) keynote speech. This is the first Apple-note of the year, and it’s going to be primarily focused on developers. So far, the banners have shown iOS 8 and OS X 10.10. What else is are we in store for is anyone’s guess. I have my own predictions 🙂 I have 0 (zero) knowledge of what’s going to be done tomorrow, and even less facts, but I like to at least think through what *could* show up!
- 4k iMacs. Yes, I know that Jim Dalrymple said ‘nope’ to a tweet saying no iMacs, but if you read the tweet, it is says ‘low cost iMacs’. Why do I think that 4k iMacs are gonna show? Well, for one, OS X 10.9.3 just came out with a complete 4K update. Why do it now? The current 4k capable macs have been out for a while (the retina MacBook Pros and the Mac Pro), so there’s no need to have the 4k feature added for them. If it’s for a product that is due later in the year, then the update could have been addressed later. I think that the 4k features had to be added before something could ship.
- If 4k iMacs show up, I bet a new Cinema display will too.
- Updated Mac Mini. No one I’ve seen is mentioning how old the latest mini is. The last update was almost 2 years ago. It certainly can benefit from the updated Intel chipsets and Thunderbolt 2 connectors, not to mention that a lot of the Mac Pro tech could be used on the mini (1 TB SSD anyone?) I’m wondering if Apple is doing a Mac Pro like make over on the mini. That would be REALLY interesting. A Mac Pro with only one video card, maybe only two Thunderbolt 2 connectors, and only a few USB 3.0 connectors, and 1/2 the size of the Mac Pro…
- I don’t see a Retina Mac Book Air coming to light tomorrow. The Air’s just got an update a month or so ago, even if it was just a small bump in specs, and a price drop.
- Something totally new???? WWDC has been interesting the last couple of years because Apple has been using this Apple-note to do the VERY high end products. 2 years ago, the retina Mac Book Pro. Last year, the Mac Pro.
- I’ve seen someone pining for a 17″ retina MacBook Pro. I have the last model year 17″ Macbook Pro, and the one thing it DOESN’T need is to double the resolution… 1920 x 1200 is bad enough!!!! My eyesight isn’t that good anymore!!!! 🙂
- Please, no demo like the Anki drive tomorrow. That whole thing was awkward and Microsoft-ish. I think the Anki stuff is cool, but it was long, and not terribly pertinent to the Dev focus.
I have no real ideas about iOS 8 and OS X 10.10. I’m resigned to the fact that OS X will probably get the iOS 7 flat treatment. I bet that there will be a new Xcode release or announcement. Apple is practically screaming ‘Developers, Developers, Developers’, so Xcode seems like a logical talking point. The Healthbook rumors are getting interesting. I hope that iBooks for iOS and OS X get updated.
At least tomorrow will be interesting!!!!